Thursday, August 25, 2005

In other news...

In other news, Google published Google talk today. I installed it, didn't like it.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not a Google hater or something. I use some Google products a lot. I just don't think Google Talk is cool.

To give two positive examples of software that I like from Google: Google Earth and Google Desktop Search v2 and Google Print. I liked both of this a lot (besides the search engine, of course).

Anyway... andrei and probably other people who read this think I hate Google. On the other hand, CK and maddox think I love Google. I for one see the subject a little different... like some kind of whale. I like some parts of it, dislike other. On the whole, I consider it a subject of study.

3 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't think you hate Google.

I don't consider any company worth loving (hate is another story). A company, no matter how hard it tries, can't act consistently because there are too many employees (each with their own beliefs and mentality) and the people controlling them (the execs) change frequently (OK, maybe Google is a little different, but this doesn't mean they won't screw up).

Anyway, Google earned my respect (and no other company managed to do that until now).

Products do however deserve some love. Usually some guy has a great
idea and you can either like it or not. Companies have hundreds of products. It's unlikely you'll love them all :)

I love Google talk, because it has a cool interface. Other than that it is far inferior to any other popular IM system out there. I'll keep using it until I get bored or they implement my whishlist :)

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's probably all about the people that are targeted by these applications. Now everybody has to like a product.

And from what I am guessing, some of their products (like gmail, gtalk) are for the geeks and for the power users.

I don't see my mother using all the keyboard shortcuts that make gmail a cool product, but I can picture her getting caught by the configurable color schemes in YahooMail.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Doru said...

Gmail shortcuts rule :D. (I esp. like them because they're based on vi).

However, if you think more carefuly, they are pretty useless. A power user generally has his own POP3 client which provides whatever capabilities GMail has and more...

Generally speaking, I like most of the Google products because they have a very clean minimal interface.

On the other side, I'd really love to be able to transfer files or log conversations in Google Talk.

The fact that Gtalk integrates with Google Desktop Search is a plus however and provides some needed features.

As a matter of fact, I think that Google's success in the domination of Internet will probably depend on tight integration between their small modules

 

Post a Comment

<< Home