Wednesday, August 10, 2005

The Bookmark Organizer

THIS has been the last night I ever lost. I shall never do that again. EVER!

On the bright side of things, I finished up the Bookmark organizer. Initially I wanted to write it in Perl, but it would have meant that people had to download libwww. So I used Python instead.

To be honest, the result is disappointing unfortunately. I like my hand picked stuff much better. Out of my 3873 bookmarks, my program wasn't able to find 923 of them. Many url's like this one:
http://tripod.com/~my_art_page/
get stored where dmoz holds tripod.com. So it's not very good. The program also writes only Opera output files.

The usage is fairly straight forward: borg.py opera_export_file. The unimaginative name comes from bookmark organizer. When it will finish you will have a file called dmoz.adr (on my computer it took 2 hours and something).You can import that file in Opera if you like. It will create a new folder called dmoz. Use it at your discretion.

The code comes with absolutely no guarantees. Make some backups, don't be stupid. Also, you can extend it in any way you see fit. I don't think there will be any upgrades.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home